Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars
Eligibility for the Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars Scholarship is based on a student’s completion of the Next Level Scholars program. Student’s that do not complete the Next Level Scholars program will not be eligible for the scholarship. Each scholarship award is estimated to be $4,000, subject to the availability of funds, and is conditional on completion of all eligibility requirements, listed below.
- Attend Apply Event on October 29, 2019.
- Submit the FAFSA by November 1, 2019.
- Complete the FAFSA by visiting fafsa.gov
- Submit your FAFSA Student Aid Report to Dollars for Scholars.
- To submit your FAFSA SAR, click here.
- Tip: Your FAFSA SAR is emailed to you about 3 days after you submit your FAFSA. Keep your eye on your email!
- Submit applications to at least three post-secondary institutions.
- Tip: There are many things to consider when deciding where you want to apply. Be strategic where you apply! Remember to apply to reach, match and safety institutions.
- Submit your FAFSA Student Aid Report to Dollars for Scholars by January 31, 2020.
- To submit your FAFSA SAR, click here.
- Determine your post-secondary institution, inform Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars by clicking here, and participate in Suited for Success to announce your decision.
- Complete FAFSA Verification if you have been selected.
- Tip: Reach out to Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars if you have been selected and aren’t sure what to do or where to start.
- To receive your scholarship check, submit your post-secondary information by September 1, 2020.
- Tip: You will be asked to submit your fall 2020 course schedule and the financial aid package you received from your school. You will also be asked how you would like to receive your scholarship (see the “How much of my scholarship do I receive at once?” question in Frequently Asked Questions below). Be prepared!
- Once you receive your check, endorse the back of and submit it to the office of financial aid at your post-secondary institution via mail or in person.
- 2020 Season Check Disbursement Dates:
- June 22, 2020
- July 13, 2020
- July 27, 2020
- August 17, 2020
- September 1, 2020
Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars Scholarship
How much of my scholarship do I receive at once?
Students have access to an anticipated total of $4,000 from Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars and can claim scholarship funds in the following ways for a maximum of four years. Students must indicate how they wish to receive their scholarship funds in the Award Agreement prior to September 1 of the year of their high school graduation date.
- $2,000 per year for two consecutive years.
- $1,000 per year for four consecutive years.
- $4,000 in one year if the student is in a one year program. Their award will be disbursed in two equal payments during their program.
Will the Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars scholarship support only students going to a 4-year college/university?
No. DRDFS will support students along multiple paths after high school. This includes students pursuing 4-year degrees, 2-year degrees, and technical diplomas and certificates.
What if I don’t need my scholarship right away?
You can defer (aka put on hold) your scholarship up to 27 months after high school graduation. For more information, email Erin at email@example.com.
How will I receive my scholarships?
Once your complete all of the requirements, your scholarship will be written to you and your institution in a check and mailed to your institution. Once your institution receives your check, you must go in to your school’s financial aid office to endorse it.
Can I still use my Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars scholarship even if I transfer schools?
Yes! Just indicate that you have transferred when renewing your scholarship. As long as the school you have transferred to is accredited by the Department of Education, you can use your scholarship.
What can I use my scholarship on?
Scholarship recipients of all scholarships administered by Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars must only use funds for qualified tuition and related expenses within the meaning of IRC § 117(b)(2).
- Accordingly, scholarships can be used for the following purpose:
- Tuition and fees required for the enrollment or attendance of the student.
- Fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses of instruction.
- The scholarship cannot be used on room or board.
If you have any questions about your Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars scholarship, reach out to Erin at (734) 228-8543 or firstname.lastname@example.org!
Guide To Thrive
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Detroit Regional Dollars for Scholars is proud to partner with MCAN to work toward the shared goal of 60% college attainment by 2030.
Connect With Us
Sign up to receive the latest news!